Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Adventures at Boston Comicon! (Or the lack thereof)

Adventures at Boston Comicon! (Or the lack thereof)

It was Sunday morning; I was staying at Sam’s house, along with Cyrus and Jacob, mostly because of Halloween but also so we could help his mom with her Irish dance thing on Saturday, and go to the Boston Comicon on Sunday.

Cyrus and I woke up at 6:00am, we thought, for the clock clearly said 6:00am, and the convention started at 10:00am, but since Sam’s Dad didn’t want to be trying to drive us there at 10:00, we were pretty sure it was compromised that we were going to play it by ear, get up early, and leave when ready.

Well, to pass the time we watched TV only to find that in fact is was 5:00am, because of Daylight savings, “Well that’s just fantastic” I said sarcastically.

There usually isn’t much on at 5:00am as you could imagine, we found a Spanish soap opera with a cheesy fight scene, there was the same exact “SMACK!” sound effect with every single obviously not actually connecting blow, and at some point they ended up in the water, which was oddly shallow and now the “Smack!” was replaced with what sounded like the same sound effect you put in a cartoon when a small child is playing in a puddle.

The fight ends and the winner gets married to some girl who was egging them on, along with what appeared to be her 5 grandmothers, 7 uncles, 2 fathers, 3 mothers 5 sisters, and 8 brothers (or it was just a swarm of extras who were watching the fight and happened to all also be at the wedding but in different outfits).

Well enough of that, we began flicking through the channels again, or should I say infomercials since that was all that was on (Except for a certain show that I usually record at 5:00am which is how we found out it was 5:00am and not 6:00am), until finally we found another odd one, a French, animation? I wasn’t even sure, the bodies and heads were drawn, or were they cardboard? And the eyes, hands, feet, mouths, noses, and ears were all pictures of actual peoples eyes, hands, feet, mouths, noses, and ears, pasted onto the cardboard (or were they placed on the drawings?), the backgrounds were magazine clippings, and when their real life mouths moved they replaced the pictures of mouths so it looked like they chewing with their teeth showing, except when they shouted and singed in which it was an actual open mouth.

The plot seemed to be about a big dance club that forced people into line to get in, and the people that were deemed good enough to get in, were forced to go in and never let out.

And the backgrounds were often destroyed by the characters, with holes that led to what looked like HTML programming, and seemed to open portals to other dimensions, as cows and American football players would run out of them.

We decided it had been late enough and we were tired of infomercials and foreign television, so we went upstairs to eat, we had breakfast (I had cereal), and Sam’s mother commented she was surprised we didn’t finish the leftover cake from the Irish dance thing, and this is true, as soon as she said cake Jacob burst out from the room he was sleeping in and shouted “What? Cake?” and he picked up a slice of cake and ate it.

It turned out we were going to get to the convention at 12:30pm and weren’t informed of that, and didn’t need to get up at 5:00am.

We went downstairs and played games and the such until finally it was time to leave.

On the ride to Boston (Which was 2 hours long!) we passed the time by playing a ridiculous game where you say something (Like Grass) and the next person beats, stops, or prevents it (Like fire), you can’t do something already done, and it doesn’t need to make sense as long as how it stops it does.

You’re out if you do something that doesn’t work, like try and stop Grass with giant octopuses with a cupcake on its head.

We started at grass and Cyrus won when he beat a shortage of veins with a giant G to turn it into a shortage of Grains, and I couldn’t think of how I could stop that with all the stuff done, so he won just before we arrived at the parking lot.

We walked through cold Boston and Jaywalked a lot because the stoplights took way to long to change to the walk signal.

When we arrived we waited in a rather short line to pay the $10 entrance fee, and when we entered I was immediately bored.

I’m not really a fan of comics, but I’ve been to Anime Boston, New England’s largest anime convention, and my brother would go with me, and he had fun even though he wasn’t an anime fan, so I assumed that I could enjoy a comic convention without being a comic fan.

Well, this was a different kind of convention, rather then have events, panels, press events, and the such, it was a marketplace, all it was, was people selling comic books.

I walked around trying to familiarize myself with the layout of the place and maybe find something interesting, well the first walk around everything was the same as everything else in the place as far as I could see.

And I was confused by their definitions of “Long book”, See, the comics I would read usually are Manga, Japanese comics, and they’re usually sold like small thick books.

Sold by the volume, you can’t really enjoy volume 8 without first reading volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

With comics they seem to be sold by the issue, with no continuity between them, the first issue is worth $300 (which is like $28 a page!) and newer ones are sold at 50 cents, (which is like less then half a cent a page).

Well, I quickly figured out that comics with continuity that are sold in volumes are called “Graphic novels” and that Manga is sold in “Graphic novel form”, well that clears things up.

As I wandered around I found a box containing some Manga, but every series I hadn’t heard of didn’t have the first volume in stock, and if I did either I already read it, they didn’t of the volume I wanted to read, or it just didn’t interest me.

I somehow ended up in the independent comics section, self-published comics written and drawn by aspiring writers and artists, plots you’d never see in a comic book, they’re so original!

Most of them were sold in anthologies, because none of them could afford to publish the comics by themselves, so they’d pitch together to release them all together.

Tables were shared it seemed, and the prices ranged from low to high (if that’s saying much)

The artists and writers themselves were selling the comics so unless they were eating lunch of something if you bought something you were getting it autographed.

Looking at the tables, these looked like great stuff, I bought 2 graphic novels from a series that actually managed to get published, both were signed, 3 issues of some sort of self-published anthological horror type comic (Kind of like tales of the crypt but by independent comic writers and artists), and a huge 30 or more author anthology of various comics called “Secrets and lies” which had so much variety it was amazing.

When I bought something the people selling them seemed surprised and happy, I guess if you don’t have a publisher then getting somebody to buy your books is hard.

In fact, they had spent all their money on getting the table at the convention and publishing their books that they didn’t have any bags for me to carry the stuff I bought in.

After walking around some more carrying my books under my arm, I passed by some people that looked like people I knew except if they never showered or changed clothes for 50 years and were dying, it was kind of odd.

After finally finding everybody else I quickly lost them again because they weren’t done yet.

So I walked around some more, until I noticed that by the staircase that was the entrance were people reading, of course, I could wait for everybody while I read my new books. I finished one of them and began looking for everybody else again as I was hungry for lunch and though I should suggest to them that we go eat soon.

I found Sam’s Dad who told me that they had all been looking for me but hadn’t thought to look at the staircase, when they got back to say “We can’t find him anywhere” only to see me standing right there, we left the convention to look for somewhere to eat.

After circling the block 5 times we decided weren’t gonna find a cheap place to eat, so we got back in the car and Sam’s dad said he knew of a good place to eat in Newton.

It was called Cabot’s and it was an ice cream/Burger place.

I ate grilled cheese and everybody else had burgers, for drinks I got a grape soda, and everybody else got root beer, except for Cyrus who got a ginger ale, which while everybody else got their drinks in the bottle with a cup to pour it in, Cyrus’ came in a tall glass with a huge straw in it (Plus he got a freaking refill), it was so carbonated the bubbles lifted the straw up and it almost fell out of it, when we finished eating we ordered ice cream, on the ice cream menu was more ice cream options then there was food options, and I noticed some options that were ridiculous! “70 quarts of ice cream with 10 quarts of toppings, $220” was one of them.

I got the junior mint Sunday, everybody else got frozen Yogurt, except for Cyrus who got “the chocolate homicide” and Sam who got a vanilla malt frappe and because of where we were sitting we got to watch them make them (except the Frappe)

First a young woman got a bowl and put in 3 or 4 scoops of chocolate ice cream with chocolate chunks in it, then she put chocolate sauce on it, and then whipped cream, then chocolate chips, then pretty much anything else in the building that was chocolate.

Then she started making mine, she put mint chip ice cream in a cup like thing, then she put chocolate sauce on it, then marshmallow sauce, then a very bright green sauce greener then any other edible thing I’ve seen, she put both Sundays on small platters.

When she brought them over, mine looked like something out of a Dr. Seuss book! With the marshmallow falling off the cup onto the platter slowly as the green sauce ran through the middle, the chocolate homicide looked like you’d get sick if you ate it all.

The Sunday was delicious, and I didn’t even finish it all, after paying the bill we got back in the car and drove to Berlin to drop off Jacob who had to get home.

I tried to read my new comic books but it was to dark and I would’ve gotten carsick if I did. Instead I watched the road and almost fell asleep because of how boring it was.

Finally we got back and I got a bag from the recycling for my stuff, I knew I was definitely not going again next year.

No comments: